Monday 6 July 2015

Five minutes vs. Six hours

J U L Y 6th 

I'm blogging everyday for the month of July, sharing what I learn about what it means to be a steward of time. Time is so precious. This series is a personal experiment where I hope to get a better look into where I invest my time, and how I can better shape my life to serve God through my actions, words, and priorities. Look up the tag "July series" to view each post.

Productivity: 
Six energetic and incredibly fun hours leading a team of grade 3 and 4 kids at camp. There was painting, baking, water balloon tosses, dancing, music... :) Endless fun. 
A full shift of work in the evening. Needless to say, after ten hours on my feet I was exhausted! 
Finishing a math assignment 

Rest & Enjoyment:
Starting the day off with some early morning Bible reading in Isaiah 
This very minute. A big mug of earl grey vanilla tea beside me and music playing for some relaxation
A ten minute break that called for cherry & chocolate fro-yo 
Camp definitely counts as enjoyment as well (but not rest... Haha) 

Take aways:

1. The pictures I took today do a really poor job of summarizing how I spent my time. For example, it took me five minutes to devour the cucumbers, while I didn't take a single picture at camp today during the six hours I was there. What this makes me realize is how easy it is to portray a completely different picture of our lives to others. Think about instagram. It's filled with beautiful pictures of adventures and joy, yet everyone has struggles. We all go through painful situations that aren't often shared on social media. From these pictures, it looks like I had a relaxing day, when in reality is was a non-stop day packed with activities, with these pictures representing the few moments that I had time to pull out my phone. A goal that rises up in me is this: I want to spend my time on what matters, not on what necessarily looks good in a picture. Having a tough but needed conversation with a loved one may not be "instagram worthy," but truly worthy of my time? Yes!  


So, thank you, July 6th, for instilling in me a profound truth. What matters in life doesn't always look good and can't always be summarized by a photo. Sometimes the very best way I can spend my time is on moments that can only be experienced, not summarized in a photo. 


Much love, Vivi 

No comments:

Post a Comment